Saturday, December 7, 2019

Backpack packing a la Reddit

Part of my preparations for this trip involved doing a bunch of research all over the place. Not so surprisingly, I found the best tips on a couple of subreddit threads: r/solotravel and r/onebag. I learned so much about simple ways to make travel easier, safer, and more fun, including limiting what you bring so you don't have so much to lug around - or to worry about losing.

I posted my packing list earlier, but I wanted to sing the praises of the compression packing cubes. First, there were a few changes to my packing list - in that I added a few things. But I wanted to show the amazing ability to pack a week's worth of traveling items in a single 60L backpack. For the record, both r/solotravel and r/onebag claim that a 40L backpack is all you need, but I'm not convinced. But then, I'm traveling during winter and most of the stories are about summer travel or to places that are warm. (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.)

So, here's the actual packing list:

  • Seven pairs panties
  • Five pairs wool socks
  • One bra
  • Four pairs leggings
  • One turtle neck undershirt
  • Two short-sleeved T-shirts
  • One long-sleeved T-shirt
  • One turtle neck sweater
  • One dressy tunic shirt
  • Three knit dresses
  • One knit skirt
  • One pair of pajama bottoms
  • One pair of shower flip flops
  • One pair of slip-on tennies
  • One micro-fiber towel
  • One packable backpack
  • One power bar
  • One European electric adapter
  • One phone charger
  • One Chromebook
  • One Chromebook charger
  • One paddle lock and key
  • Braces dental floss
  • Make-up
  • Hair ties, fingernail clippers, hand lotion
  • Passport, notebook, fountain pen

This is everything before it was packed up. That's a queen-sized bed it's all splayed out on.


This is everything packed into the compression packing cubes or additional small make-up bags.


And finally, everything in my backpack and waistpouch. Aside from the clothing that I'll be wearing and my phone (and earbuds), this is what I'll be living out of for the 28 days that I'll be traveling across Europe. 

Most likely, I'll pack my crochet hooks and a ball of yarn in the top pouch in the backpack to give me something to do with my hands. I also have five books in my Kindle app, and six movies downloaded from Netflix to keep me occupied on the flight and while I do laundry. 

Kind of makes me think about all of the things that I'm leaving behind... and what I really need to get through life versus what I have just cluttering up my space. Maybe I should purge a bit when I get back. 

Other than doing laundry, vacuuming, dusting, and taking out the trash so my housesitter will have a clean space, I'm ready to go. Just 32 hours and 19 minutes before my plane is scheduled to take off....

2 comments:

  1. Ug - I had a bra explode in Madrid. I'm glad I brought more than one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two. :) One that I wore on the plane, and one that I packed. For exactly that reason. ;)

      Delete