Sunday, June 10, 2012

Homemade Mosquito Repellent

I dislike the smell of most commercial bug sprays, so I decided to make my own. This is the recipe that I use. It's 100% natural, smells lovely, and works great!

1/2 cup grape seed oil (baby oil works, too, but it should be scentless)
5 drops pennyroyal oil
3 drops eucalyptus oil
3 drops cinnamon oil (a 3" stick of cinnamon put into the oil will work, too)

Combine all of the ingredients in a small bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Shake it well before putting on.

If you dislike oil-based concoctions, you can also use a scentless lotion for a base. Since I tend to suffer from dry skin and the pennyroyal and cinnamon oils can cause some drying, I prefer the grape seed oil.

It's also incredibly important that you test the various oils on the inside of your arm before you use them. Some can cause some very uncomfortable blisters if you're sensitive to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment