Saturday, May 19, 2012

Anyone got some summer recipes?

It's the middle of May and our temperatures are hovering in the high-80s already. The humidity isn't as bad as August, but that hasn't made the heat less miserable for those of us without air-conditioning. Windows are open, fans fully ensconced, and still, we're struggling. Unfortunately, there are children in the house and neighbors not far off, so I'm limited in how far down I can strip to keep cool. I'm sure you can guess that the last thing we want to do in this heat is to fire up the stove. The grill hasn't worked for some time, and we're not really in a rush to replace it for the time being. All of this leaves us in a bind when it comes to dinner.

If we don't want to spend too long sweating over a hot stove, what do we make? I'm somewhat limited in that I dislike lettuce, so green salads just aren't much of an option for me. So when the dreaded question, "What's for dinner?" comes up, I have no real answer. Tonight, to avoid dealing with all of it, I bought a pre-roasted chicken from the grocery store, some raw veggies, and olive-oil and herb goat cheese. It was delicious, and we ate healthier than normal. But that's going to end up getting expensive, and I don't really want it every day all summer.

Help? Any suggestions on healthy, cheap recipes that require little to no cooking?

1 comment:

  1. Anything in a slow cooker as it doesn't heat up the house very much.
    Ditto a rice cooker, which you can steam veggies and protein over.
    Stir frys 5-10 minutes in a wok and done.
    My big suggestion is fix the grill. Lived in a house without A/C and long ago figured out how to cook entire meals (starch, protein, veg) on the grill without once turning on the stove. Longest stretch was 3 weeks. Different meal every night, including pizza.

    ReplyDelete